Re: N. ampullaria problem

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 09:18:21 PST

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:18:21 -0500
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. ampullaria problem

----------
> The two remaining leaves still have some
> green in them, and the stem looks relatively healthy, but the
> growing point has dried up and is not putting off any new foliage. I
> smeared some shoot-ez hormone wax on the stem where the dormant buds
> should emerge, but nothing has happened so far. Does anybody have
> an idea how I can bring it back to health?

N. ampullaria does not like low humidity. I've killed ampullarias by
repotting them at the wrong time. I have found (the hard way) that summer,
when humidity is high and days are long, is the only time to disturb an
ampullaria's root system. My advice is to leave it along. Keep humidity at a
constant 80 percent, and avoid temperatures below about 65 degrees F, cross
your fingers and it should slowly make a comeback.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida