Darlingtonia

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 05:48:48 PST

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:48:48 +0000
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia

Cool cells in a greenhouse would certainly help to keep Darlingtonia
alive in a hot climate (though they are less effective if the
environment is very humid). Bringing them into the air conditioning
under lights is also a good suggestion. If you want ANOTHER
suggestion, I keep mine alive in hot and humid St. Louis by
putting a pot in the lid of a styrofoam box, so that the top of the
pot is level with the top of the box. The roots of the plant are
therefore inside the box, while the plant itself is out
in the air and light. I used to be faithful about putting a cold pack
in there every morning, and have since discovered that I can be lazy
and only change it every few days or so. The box alone and some water
in the bottom (below the level of the pot, so the pot isn't sitting
in water) keeps the pot much cooler than the outside air.
Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
susan.farrington@mobot.org
(314)577-9402