Darlingtonia

From: James D Annan (jdan@mail.nerc-bidston.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 02:34:58 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:34:58 +0100
From: "James D Annan" <jdan@mail.nerc-bidston.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia

Thanks to all who answered my recent queries about darlingtonia and d.
peltata.

I have one more question about the darlingtonia. I received one through
the post about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately it sat in its box over the
weekend in my office (centrally heated, but it should have been cold at
night). I potted it up, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything at
all. Should it not be growing vigorously at this time of year? It has a
lot of pitchers, up to 4" tall, but these appear to be slowly dying. It
also came with virtually no root (about a 1" piece). Some sarracenia
suffered the same delivery, but these have grown away fine after being
potted out.

I could dig up the darlingtonia to see if the roots have developed, but
I'm reluctant to do this if it might do some harm. Is it likely to be
alive or dead? Can I do anything to help it?

Thanks,

James