Sterilization of explants. Help

From: Marin Martiskovich (marin@sprint.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 07 1999 - 22:05:22 PST

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 01:05:22 -0500
From: "Marin Martiskovich" <marin@sprint.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sterilization of explants. Help

    Hello all. I am having problems with sterilization of explants from
Venus Fly Traps, that I am trying to tissue culture. From what I have read
on the subject most people seem to recommend first alcohol dipping for a
minute or two and then a 10% bleach solution for ten minutes. When I attempt
to do this I notice a purplish pigment leeching out of the explant much like
someone else experienced with seeds, except that I do not have any luck. The
explants look slightly limp, like steamed greens, but lighter in colour and
then they turn black on the medium within a day or so. Should I attempt to
reduce time in bleach solution or is 10 minutes at 10% basically essential
to sterilize plant material. Also has anyone attempted to use anything else
to sterilize explants with success? Possibly Dettol, triclosan, or any other
antibacterial compound.