Re: Update on S.American Drosera Taxonomy and NEW WANT LIST

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 22:25:26 PST

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:25:26 PST
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Update on S.American Drosera Taxonomy and NEW WANT LIST

Hi Kevin,

>>I've got some more news on the Drosera species collected on this
>>last trip of mine. Careful drawings of each have been made by a
>>friend of mine, making comparisons much easier.

>Will you be making these images available on the web any time soon
>so we may see???krs

       The plan is to draw all the New World Drosera spp. and put them
all into a book with accompanying pictures. In some cases, several
drawings of each species will be included to show the known variation.
We've got over 150 drawings already, most still incomplete though,
missing details like seeds or styles.

       THIS IS WHY I NEED A D.LINEARIS SPECIMEN IN FLOWER IN ALCOHOL!!!
Doesn't anybody out there live close to where this species grows in the
wild???? All I need are two or three plants in flower in 70% alcohol.
I'll repeat once again: I'm willing to trade seeds of rare Brazilian CPs
for this material.

       If anybody can do the same for D.intermedia, D.anglica,
D.rotundifolia, D.capillaris, and D.brevifolia from N and/or C America,
I'm also interested. Although we already have these species, we want
more specimens from different locations. Furthermore, we'd like
specimens of any Drosera species from nrothern S.America (Venezuela,
Colombia, Guyana, etc.), like D.esmeraldae, D.tenella, D.kaiteurensis,
D.arenicola, etc. to compare with what we have. Always in alcohol, of
course.

       So if any of you out there grow any of these species, have
location data for them, can get them to flower next spring/summer, and
is willing to bottle up a few flowering plants for me in exchange for
Brazilian CP seeds, what are you waiting for? WRITE TO ME! (Personally
please, not to the listserv) If you live close to where you could
collect some specimens of the above species directly from the wild
(Florida, California, Great Lakes region, etc.) for me in the
spring/summer, even better.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia