Re: Recent CP books ?

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 15:05:02 PST

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:05:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Recent CP books ?

Hi Matt,

> As usual, I haven't been paying much attention to recent posts and was
> wondering if someone could please drop me an email or point me to a site
> containing a list of CP books released within the last 10 years. I dont
> want books on Nepenthes or Sarracenia as I dont have the room to grow
> them - anything with good reading on Drosera would be cool with me.

        Amazon.com is definitely a good site to start looking at. Peter
Cole's web-page has some reviews of books that Amazon doesn't. Also,
Chris Frazier's page has (or at least had) a list of cp publications put
up by Ivo Koudela (sorry if I misspelled your name Ivo!).

> I seem to recall seeing a book by "that French Orchid guy", Marcel
> L'ecoufle, at the NY Botanical Gardens gift shop, a silly childrens book
> with a pretty amusing picture in it :) (thanks, Mark!) and got my hands
> on Lowrie I and II (thanks, Jim!). What am I missing?

        L'Ecoufle (sp?) brought out a more 'advanced book' around 1990
(still within your last decade requirement ;)!), but I can't really
recommend it with all the glaring errors in regards to taxonomy. Tony
Camirelli just brought out a new book. I'm waiting for mine to arrive, so
can't really comment on what it's like. I'm assuming you have Peter
D'Amato's book. If not, get it!

> Wheres the best
> and cheapest place to find this stuff? Amazon.com?

        Not always. At least, in Canada, it has been cheaper for me to
order through the local bookstores, rather than through Amazon.com, as I
pay the same price as Amazon advertises, but without the shipping and
handling. Definitely shop around!

        The rest of your questions I can't help you with, sorry!
> See ya
> Matt
> NYC

Happy growing,