Re:N.curtisii revisited

From: Malesiana Tropicals (malesiana@tropicals.com.my)
Date: Mon Mar 22 1999 - 23:18:17 PST

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:18:17 +0800
From: "Malesiana Tropicals" <malesiana@tropicals.com.my>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:N.curtisii revisited

To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com

>I've heard of a Nepenthes, resembling N.maxima, growing around the
> Mt. Penrissen area on the Sarawak / West Kalimantan border.
> There is also a mention of it in PITCHER PLANTS OF BORNEO (Phillips >&Lamb). I know that the geographical distances seem odd in relation >to the general N.maxima range.
>
>I just wonder if this could,in any way, explain the original type >collection
>location
>of N.Curtisii..?????
> Paul Harwood

Hi Paul,

On G. Penrissen the only species which could be confused with N. maxima
are N. veitchii and N. fusca. I beleive it is the latter species which
gave rise to the erronous references to N. maxima in the area - there
are several old herbarium sheets in Kuching of N. fusca, which were
previously labeled N. maxima.

Best regards,

Ch'ien Lee
Kuching, Sarawak