RE: The weirdest Nepenthes Cross

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 13:25:12 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:25:12 -0500
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: The weirdest Nepenthes Cross

Trent et. al.:
Interesting idea. I too have seen some problems with complex crosses, but
since I haven't done that many, I wrote it off to the timing of the
pollination attempt and lack of ideal post-pollination conditions.

The thing is, Neps and Sarrs. both tend to exhibit incomplete (or partial)
dominance of inherited characteristics. I don't know of any specific
reason for the lack of viability of these complex crosses. And in fact,
complex crosses seem to be successful for Sars. as can be seen by the
hybrid swarms in some locations in the wild and the success of Mellichamp's
hybrids like Lady's in Waiting, Dixie Lace, etc.

Anyone know of likely limiting factors that would compromise the viability
of a multi-parent hybrid?

Tom in Fl.