Red marks on Nepenthes leaves

From: Michael Hunt (mph101@surfree.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 16:47:22 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:47:22 -0500
From: "Michael Hunt" <mph101@surfree.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Red marks on Nepenthes leaves

Hello,

     I have recently obtained a few Nepenthes with red blotches on alot of
the leaves. I was told this was due to cold damage. Until this time I have
thought these red spots to be the result of a fungus (rust) which other than
being unslightly wasn't a threat to the plant. I had never heard of the
markings due to cold temps. I sometimes get these dark red spots on plant
leaves that have not been exposed to cool conditions.
     While at a bromeliad nursery the orchid grower had some N. x Coccinea,
some had the red spots which he tried to tell me was a varigated leaf! But
these plants did have damage due to cold.
      Could anyone offer comments on these spots?
Thankyou,
~Mike
St. Petersburg Fl