Re: Red marks on Nepenthes leaves

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 17:22:27 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:22:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Red marks on Nepenthes leaves

Hi Mike,

        I've seen this on commercially available neps too, and while I
cannot say for sure it was due to cold, it did seem likely. I do know
that on one nep I placed outside, spots developed on hot days when water
droplets were left on the leaves and the full sun hit it. Not
recommended for any nep, but this was (still is) a very hardy N.alata
plant. Not even a two week drought killed it (don't ask!).

        I have experienced cold 'spots' on other plants, specifically
Saintpaulia spp. (African violets) which seem to be particularly
susceptible to this. Wouldn't surprise me if neps and other plants
react similarly.

        The spots are generally a yellowish colour and then turn brown
over time. Variegation, at least what I've seen in plants, is generally
more in stripes, although there are exceptions. As is recommended by
most people, but followed by almost nobody (myself included!), all new
plants should be isolated for a couple of months to ensure they're free
of pests (whether fungus, animals, or whatever) before being mixed with
your other babies.

Happy growing,

Chris

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Michael Hunt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently obtained a few Nepenthes with red blotches on alot of
> the leaves. I was told this was due to cold damage. Until this time I have
> thought these red spots to be the result of a fungus (rust) which other than
> being unslightly wasn't a threat to the plant. I had never heard of the
> markings due to cold temps. I sometimes get these dark red spots on plant
> leaves that have not been exposed to cool conditions.
> While at a bromeliad nursery the orchid grower had some N. x Coccinea,
> some had the red spots which he tried to tell me was a varigated leaf! But
> these plants did have damage due to cold.
> Could anyone offer comments on these spots?
> Thankyou,
> ~Mike
> St. Petersburg Fl

Chris Teichreb