moss and seeds

From: Kenneth Quinn (mosasaur@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 06:39:08 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:39:08 -0500
From: "Kenneth Quinn" <mosasaur@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: moss and seeds

> >2.Plant on "No Damp Off" by mosser lee or similar. This is DEAD
> >milled sphagnum moss, great stuff for germination and early growth.
> >Live sphagnum will probably outgrow seedlings in no time.
>
> Live, healthy sphagnum moss has antiseptic properties and something else
> that helps prevent molds from forming. I find it an excellent medium for
> starting seeds and, because sphagnum is so light, the seedlings may be

I am a novice with CPs but not with bromeliads, and wrote a series of
articles on using different media for bromeliad seed germination. I did
not have access to live sphagnum, but tried a product I have seen only on
the west coast - Green Moss, harvested from the Pacific Northwest. It
almost always starts growing again after being kept moist. This stuff was
the best planting medium I found, very few problems with fungus.

BTW, I have never seen *visible* fungus overwhelm a seedling, but of course
have probably lost a lot to the more subtle sorts.

On that subject, just where *can* I buy some live sphagnum?

Kenneth Quinn