Re: Re: The Weirdest Nepenthes cross

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 21:26:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 15 Apr 99 00:26 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: The Weirdest Nepenthes cross

Hey Guys & Gals,

> The weirdest Nepenthes cross I'd like to see is:
> [(N.hamata X aristolochioides)X(N.bicalcarata X
> villosa)]X[(N.ampullaria X inermis)X villosa] X [(N.hamata X
> bicalcarata)X aristolochioides.]
>
> God only knows what that monster would look like!!! :^)

   Hmm... Methinks it would look like _N. mirablis_. :-Q*

I'll try and use this formula, but swap out a couple species
for others that I think would accent each other. I like the
N.bicalcarata * N.villosa, but I wonder since the peristome
of N.bical. is so smooth and N.villosa so rough and full of
teeth, would they cancel each other? Would we get a lumpy
peristome with no teeth? Sure, the fangs of the N.bical. would
come through though! And that IS the important part. Right
folks??? It would be like an vampire that needs dentures.
You know, I just might stop there, I mean that is pretty darn
weird. No, it is just not weird enough yet.
   And what of the weirdest Nepenthes? I see no mention of
it! How could this be??? The King of Dung, The Eater of (er,
you know what), _N. lowii_, surely needs to be in the mix, no?

So here's my try for the freakiest, most weird Nep hybrid
yet to be thought:

(((N.lowii*N.truncata)*(N.clipeata*N.venticosa))*
((N.hamata*N.edwardsiana)*(N.pervillei*N.eustachya)))

It should have that hour-glass shape, but what of the peristome?
Would it be full of teeth? Or plain as N.alata? It would be big,
but would it be happy weighting in at a size fifteen? It sure would
be colorful, but would other Nepenthes except it? Who knows, only
a couple people could make this cross and they aren't telling!

I did actually put some thought into that cross, BTW, if not the rest,
Dave Evans