Re: Utricularia vulgaris dying?! Why?!

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 16:33:29 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 00:33:29 +0100
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utricularia vulgaris dying?! Why?!

Hello Chris & all!

> To help you, we'll need to know a bit more about the aquarium such
> as light, temperature, substrate (if any), pH and nutrients (if known)
> etc.

I don't know much about it. I placed a layer of peat in the bottom,
followed by sand and then rain water.
The pH must be low because I've got a CO2 reactor which produces lots of
CO2.
Maybe the problem is the temperature: the water is at 28 C the whole day...

> You say it already flowered, etc. FRom what I've seen of
> U.vulgaris in the wild, it only does this when warm temperatures are
> sustained for a long period. After flowering, it always starts to form
> turions. You have to remember that this is a temperate Utric which

Yes, that could be it, except that the plant hasn't really flowered, it
only produced several flower buds which died before opening. But you maybe
right, I think the plant is forming turions. I find it strange, I thought
turions only formed with low temperatures.

> Sounds like they may have been cooked. U.vulgaris likes cooler
> conditions. You may have forced it out of dormancy, which might have
> weakened it.

So that must be it. 28 C is far too much, isn't it? However, I'm growing a
plant of U. vulgaris in temperatures sometimes higher than 33 C and the
plant grows... it doesn't grow well, but it grows.

> Aldrovanda doesn't have the same requirements as U.vulgaris (other
> than needing water). It'll usually grow without dormancy year round
> (depending where it originated from). It does despise really strong

Not mine, mine is the Japanese, it needs dormancy.
Do you think 28 C is too much for this plant? As I said, in the last days,
its behaviour changed: I can't explain, it's like if the apical bud opened
all the new whorls of leaves at the same time, instead of one by one. Well,
forget. If the plant is going to die, I'll know it in the next days...

> Outdoors it is. Indoors, I'd recommend U.gibba as a pleasant
> weed. U.vulgaris is usually too big for any aquarium anyways, and looks
> better in outdoor pools, ponds, etc.

I also have U. gibba in that aquarium and it happened the same as U.
vulgaris.

Well, let it be. There's nothing I can do, anyway. Just wait.

Thanks for the help.
Miguel