Re: N. macfarlanei

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 18:27:17 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:27:17 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. macfarlanei

<< Hi,

 Does anyone else keep N. macfarlanei? If so, what's your opinion
 regarding it's growth; fast, slow? Personally, I've found it to be a
 slow grower. After almost seven month my plant (2 inches) has only grown
 four leaves.

 I've planted some N. lavicola seed in live spaghnum moss, and after five
 days I noticed clusters of small black spots on almost every one of
 them. Looks like some kind of fungus. The spots are concentrated around
 the center of the seed, and is connected to it by stalks. Anyone seen
 this before?

 Regards,

 --
 Christer Berglund

Dear Christer,

     I have grown N. macfarlanei for several years. Like N. sanguinea some
clones are easier than others. One problem you may have is temerature. The
plant does well with daytime temps around 80-85 and nightime lows of 55
degrees yearround. Also pure water (R.O) is a must for most or all highland
species. A medium of equal parts fine charcoal, fir bark and tree fern
(essentially a terrestrial orchid mix) with a bit of sphagnum is good for
potting. I have grown them in both plastic pots and wooden slatted baskets
with good results.

     By the way, for all those growing Nepenthes in the wood baskets, I have
found a better substitute. Locally, at least, they sell plasting mesh pots
for growing water lilies at Builder's Square and Home Depot. They come in 8
x 8, 12 x 12 and other sizes. Almost all the highland species have been
transplanted into these baskets and have done well. Unlike wood they do not
break down in a few years and the mesh is fine enough not to let the media
through. They are not as pretty as wood, but they are much cheaper!

Cliff