Nepenthes and Earthworms

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 14:48:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 15:48:13 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes and Earthworms

It seems like I've seen this question asked here before, but I don't
remember ever seeing a response. Are earthworms good to feed to
Nepenthes? I have what I think is Nepenthes alata (it was saved from
Home Depot and had a Gublers Orchids tag that said "Nepenthes hybrid"
but the pitchers look like alata). It didn't do anything till Jay
Lechtman (thanks Jay) suggested I put the whole pot and plant inside a
plastic bag, and now it produces a pitcher a month, plus another little
plant seems to be sprouting next to the original stem. I've not really
fed it, nothing of any real nutritional value anyway. But, since it's
been raining every day here for the last 2 or 3 weeks, I'm seeing a lot
of earthworms outside and wondered if dropping a couple of small ones
inside the pitchers would do it more harm than good. I know a lot of
people recommend pet store crickets, but I really don't want to be
freezing bugs and ripping their legs off and stuff like that. Besides,
the worms are free and won't jump on me, and I only have the one plant
anyway. Thanks in advance for your comments, and a very big thank you
for all the comments, both public and private, on U. calycifida.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah