_Nepenthes bicacarata_ Poisonous?

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 06:12:54 PDT

Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 09:12:54 -0400
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: _Nepenthes bicacarata_ Poisonous?

cp@opus.hpl.hp.com wrote:

> Topic No. 3
> Subject: Is N. bicalcarata piosonous?
>
> I inspect my plants everyday and one day noticed a tiny inchworm crawling
> on a N. b. leaf. I was about to pick it off when I saw it chew a hole 2mm
> across in the leaf, but before I did it started spasing. It was wipping
> back and forth like it was having an eptileptic seiser (I probably
> spelled that wrong). After about 20 sec. or so it fell over. I pushed it
> around with a small stick and it didn't move.

Hello Robivore and List,
Steven Stewart here,
I'm glad you found the herbivore eating your carnivore! I have had
caterpillars do damage to _Nepenthes_ when I first put up my new
greenhouse. I believe they ate them because I had separated them from
their natural food source. They did not do well because of my rapid
responce to their presence with _Baccilus thuringiensis_ ssp. , "Dipel"
brand larvacide. Many larva are very specific about what they can and
cannot eat. It is possible yours perished because of the lack of some
chemical, or simple digestive complications. Again I am glad you found
the problem before it did more harm to your _Nepenthes bicalcarata_,
Keep an eye out for more, as they can do serious harm to plants before
dying. Where there is one caterpiller their are generally more. As to
the chemical properties of _N.bical._ I am not sure, but ants do love
them for the nectar they produce.
Take Care,
Steven Stewart
I.B.W. Enterprises, Inc.