Re: Woodlice

From: Michael Hunt (mph101@surfree.com)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 07:43:43 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:43:43 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <mph101@surfree.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Woodlice

Hi Steve,
>From across the ocean I will offer MHO. I'm not a expert on the subject. But
I do feed mass quantities of these things to my chameleons. These
crustaceans (order: Isopoda, sub order: Oniscoidea) are as you guess fond of
a detritus environment.
They have many common names. Here in the states they are called pillbugs,
sowbugs, potato bugs, rolly-pollies, ball bugs, etc. Also woodlouse. The
pill bugs roll into a ball when disturbed, the sow bug can't do this. They
are harmless. A compost pile is a gourmet delight for these creatures.
Always liking moist decaying matter they seldom bother plants, but they can.
Mainly fruits either on a plant or on the ground. They can nibble on roots
or tender new growth. But this isn't a real problem.
You can control overwhelming populations with Malathion, Diazinon, or Sevin.
But holding the populations is the best one can hope for, these ancient
creatures know how to survive and really represent no threat.
Take care,
~Michael Hunt
St. Petersburg Fl