Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

From: Paul Temple (Paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 16:27:49 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 23:27:49 +0000
From: Paul Temple <Paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

Sorry to those not amused by the topic of Biodiversity rules - or by my
somewhat lateral approach to it. But anyway...

As far as we know, the Biodiversity Conventions make it illegal to grow,
or in any way keep or use any material that was once living if it
originated in another country and you did not have permission from that
country to own/maintain or make use of the specimen. This applies to
all material moved after a certain date (I believe since 1996).

The UK Customs and Excise Dept. can and do confiscate smuggled plant or
animal material if found. All confiscated plants are sent to Kew by UK
Customs and Excise Dept.. Thus, Kew would be acting illegally to accept
such material as it must have arrived without permission! And UK Customs
and Excise Dept. would be guilty of aiding and abetting Kew as they
would be acting deliberately to forward the plants to Kew!!! (The
convention does not seem to allow for the granting of retrospective
permission!)

(Certainly not Kew's fault but it's gotta be an ironical outcome!).

Regards

Paul