Re: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 18:42:44 PDT

Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 06:42:44 +0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Biodiversity convention - farcical fact 1

Hi Sean:

>Whoever made up that self-serving tripe knows nothing about
>monkeys, CITES, the Biodiversity convention

CITES is an ill described, mostly uninforcable (because of people who don't
care), penalizing and proscribing document (for those that do) that lacks
common sense.

We need a convention like this, but we do not need CITES the way it stands.
It is a blockade to the distribution of rare species that are _already_ in
cultivation. And much more.

I formed my opinion on the the Biodiversity Convention, before there was
one, from reading E.O. Wilson's "Diversity of Life".

Kind Regards,

Rand