Re: Moss peat substitutes

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 09:51:42 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 17:51:42 +0100
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Moss peat substitutes

Hi Dave and all,

> I feel CP growers are the only people who should be using
>peatmoss. Most gardeners use peatmoss as a soil conditioner.
>However, compost from grass clipping and other garder leavings,
>is just as good a soil conditioner for gardens. CP growers use
>peatmoss (and we make-up only a small percentage of the peatmoss
>market) because nothing else works for so many species. People,
>use Coir in your gardens, save the peatmoss for your CP's.
>
>Dave Evans

I agree with the fact that peat is the natural substrate for many CP species
and that the use of peatmoss for their culture is a sort of rigt of them.

However, in the wild, many other carnivorous plants grow on a wide variety
of soils, usually rich in organic stuff, but not necessarily on peat: often
this organic stuff originates from tree or grass leaves.
It would be nice if it would be possible to find substitutes for peat.
Surely this would not influence the destruction rate of bogs for peat
extraction, but in some cases the use of substitutes could be easier and
maybe cheaper.

Good growing

Filippo Tassara
Genova, Italy