Re:Snails OK for Aquatic Utrics and Aldrovanda?

From: Len Trigg (trigg@cs.waikato.ac.nz)
Date: Sun Jun 13 1999 - 14:35:18 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:35:18 +1200 (NZST)
From: Len Trigg <trigg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Snails OK for Aquatic Utrics and Aldrovanda?

> From: Craig Gardner <cgardner@jps.net>
> Subject: Re:Snails OK for Aquatic Utrics and Aldrovanda?
>
> I have been told by by several Pet stores that apple snails will eat the
> algae but not plants I have not yet tried this but plan to with some aquatic
> Utrics.

While I haven't had experience with apple snails (big yellow guys) myself, I'm
fairly sure that they will gobble your plants. In my aquarium, where
Aldrovanda grows happily, I have mystery snails (big black guys), malaysian
trumpet snails (small livebearing snails), and one other unidentified small
snail. The aldro often traps tiny snails, although I'm not sure how it's
digestive system copes with the shells. (Other info: pH 6.8, Temp 27C, CO2
injection, and addition of micro and macro nutrients. Siamese algae eaters and
a black molly also help keep algae at bay).

Cheers,
        Len.

---
 Len Trigg =========== http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~trigg/
 Computer Science Dept, University of Waikato, New Zealand
 PGP Public key http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~trigg/key.asc