G. violacea

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 14:49:53 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: G. violacea

> think about it at the time. Anyhow, I have G.violacea flowering right
> now. It looks like the flower is similar to some Utrics and Pings, so I
> assume pollination techniques are the same. Will they produce seed if I
> self them, or do they need cross pollination? Also, are these plants
> perennials, annuals, short lived perenniels, etc.? Thanks for your
> patience :)!

Hey Chris,

As long as you grow it well, it will be a perennial. Take trap cuttings
from time to time (this is the only vegetative way I've found successful
with G. violacea, other than natural clumpings dividing with time).

By self pollinating them, I've gotten seed to develop, but I can't tell
you for certain if they germinated---I was lazy and sowed them in a
propagation pot filled with cuttings of various ages, so they might have
germinated, but got mistaken for cuttings.

Great plants, by the way!

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter