N. northiana

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@olywa.net)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 20:46:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:46:02 -0700
From: "Andrew Marshall" <andrewm@olywa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. northiana

Hi Folks,
    I have at one time had the 'luxury' of having three N. northiana to
'play' with. I found that there were things not to add to the mix, things
it didn't matter if you did or didn't and things certainly to add.
    Fir bark is the prefered base for all my Nepenthes mixes. I vary the
size for the plants by purchasing the 'fine' grade and sifting it a bit for
a 'seedling' mix.
    Peat, especially old, and in chunk form rather then powdered form is my
prefered second ingrediant for all Nepenthes mixes.
    Perlite is the third component. The ratios are 2:2:1
    With the N. northianas I had, I had one, believing the idea that they
grew on limestone cliffs, in a mix of perlite, vermiculite with some
powdered limestone added. It did get the plant moving for a little while,
but then it began to show signs of stress and wilting so I reverted it back
to the standard mix. Good thing to as the vermiculite had collapsed and
would have rotted the roots off.
    Another I had in a peat sand mix, it also didn't do well. Too wet.
    The best plant grew steadily in my standard mix.
    Lighting for all was rather shaded, as for an N. ampullaria. To little
light I think, reflecting back now. The plants grew slowly larger, but
rarely trapped.
    Temperatures. I second what Jeff Shafer has already said. I noticed
that while it is listed as a lowlander, it doesn't really grow well as one.
If grown as a highlander though, it also doesn't fare well. In either case
it is slow and doesn't trap. Sometimes it will stall for months before
moving again. The best times were during the spring/autumn, when though
they grew in the lowland enclosure, they had a temperature drop which they
didn't get during the summer, and it didn't get too cold as it did in
winter.
    I found that if they were happy, they would produce much larger leaves
each time they did actually produce them. I could tell when they were going
down though as they would produce smaller leaves, or just stop all together.
    I think the important parts of growing this plant, as I have learned are
drainage, correct temperature and more light then one would give an N.
ampullaria for certain. They didn't like the full amunt given to the other
Nepenthes though, but seemed to like at least some shade. THis has been
mentioned already by several people but is worth repeating.
    I didn't feed mine as foliar feeding didn't have any effects and there
were so few traps that it also didn't seem to affect things when I did stuff
a bug in there.
    Hope this helps
    Andrew
>------------------------------
>
>Topic No. 6
>
>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:00:44 -0600
>From: shafer@sammy.Colorado.EDU
>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>Subject: Re: N.northiana
>
>Hi Tony,
>
>My experience with N. northiana suggests that it will grow well in a
>mix of charcoal and peat, in the approximate ratio 2:1. However,
>more critical than this, I believe are the species' environmental
conditions.
>My plants do best with moderate light (supplied by 4 4 foot long
fluorescent
>tubes), and temps between 70 and 85 F. Temps significantly higher or lower
>than this seem to retard growth, or it may simply be that this plant
>likes a very restricted temperature range.
>
>In any case, under these conditions, I have been relatively successful with
>this plant. Beware, however, of root disturbances, to which this species
>seems highly sensitive. I recommend using large pots even for small
specimens,
>thereby enabling one to avoid repotting the plants for as long as possible.
>I also feed mine small insects, which I believe has greatly accelerated
their
>growth.
>
>Best wishes,
>Jeff Shafer