Re: Use the Trading Post!

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 00:45:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 16 Jun 99 03:45 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Use the Trading Post!

Hey Jonathan,

> I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I have become increasingly
> annoyed lately by the frequent postings that are either requesting or
> advertising plants for trade. It is even more annoying that they often
> have titles like "Nepenthes needed", giving them a very demanding tone.
> The point of a digest is to discuss topics relevant and interesting to
> ALL users; begging for gifts of specific plants definitely does NOT meet
> that requirement. I would like to make a respectful request that people
> keep trade requests and advertisements to the CP Trading Post, which is
> designed for just that and works quite effectively.

   You almost didn't sound like a jerk :-q)
   Perhaps some people don't have PC's? (Like me) I don't have web
access, just text e-mail. How else do you suppose I trade and sell
carnivorous plants to the people on this list????
   However, I agree with you that some of these e-mails are a bit
rude. I had a CP sale two years ago on this list and it went on
quite nicely and most everyone was happy about it. Before me
Barry Meyers-Rice posted a series of mails liquidating his Sarracenia
collection. No one was upset then either.
   I feel some posters are a bit rude and I am willing to name
names if you all think it's worth it, but perhaps these people
can figure it out on their own. While you are wondering why your
ads remain unreplied to, or you feel there are too few replies
take a look and read your ads again. Compare them to other ads,
especially those submitted by people who do brisk trade of CP's.
Notice any differences?

Dave Evans