Re: Re: N. northiana

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 01:39:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 16 Jun 99 04:39 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: N. northiana

Dear Andreas,

> Under my conditions I do not make any special arrangements for N.
> northiana. However, as with many other Nepenthes I observed that
> though the root system is not that expanded, bigger pots mean bigger
>
> 1 part high quality peat (Flora-brand)
> 1 part clay-beads as used for hydroponics 3mm grain Lecaton brand
> 1 part Styrofoam beads "Styropor"

   Thanks for this information. I have a N.northiana from you
as well. It's still alive and kicking! Infact, it's getting
bigger. I have it in a really odd and large pot and it's growing
with several other highland Neps (from you again: Really nice
plants!), U. alpina, S. purpurea, Darlingtonia, D.capensis, D.schi-
zandra and a couple others. While all the others look happy, this
one doesn't. Or maybe it just looks weird to me. I don't quite
understand it, but there seems to be lines all over the leaves
almost as though it is variegated.
   I don't think it has different colors in the leaves, but rather
that parts of the leaf are on different planes which meet at abrupt
angles thereby refecting the light from each plane a little
differently. (reminds me of cracked, not shattered, glass) Are
these angles, veins? I have, on occasion, surfed the web, but I
don't recall ever seeing the leaves of this species, just the
pitchers... (ditto for N. petiolata)

Wondering,
Dave Evans