Nepenthes spathulata ID

From: Mike (mvogl@webaccess.net)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 15:43:41 PDT

Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:43:41 -0600
From: Mike <mvogl@webaccess.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes spathulata ID

Hello all-

Is there any quantifiable, unique characteristic which identifies plants
of N. spathulata?

I ask because I have been growing a plant that I recieved labelled as
"N. stenophylla", but the larger it gets the less it looks like N.
stenophylla. I am suspicious that a labeling error may have occured and
this plant is really N. spathulata, which I recieved in the same
shipment.

The plant is about 8" across with 2"-3" pitchers; large enough to make
some observations possible, but not so mature as to be stable enough in
its characterisitcs to make a definite ID based on appearance alone.
Regardless, I will list some of these characteristics and maybe someone
more experienced than I can help me ID it:

- the plant is smooth and relatively hairless, except along the leaf
edges and the pitcher itself, which are both VERY faintly pubescent.
- the spur branches (usually into three points).
- the peristome is simple on the inner margin- not toothed.
- the peristome is relatively wide and flared, and has distinct
ridges; it is a solid, very dark red color on mature pitchers.
- the wings are heavily fringed; the cilia are very numerous and long.
- the lid has a weak crest- more of an indentation really.
- the pitcher body is tubby and green with tiny red spots creating a
blushing effect near the neck and lid; older pitchers darken to an
almost chocolatey red.
- the stem is round in cross section, and quite thick.
- there are faint red or pink splotches on the pitcher interior,
which is extremely waxy.

If anyone can ID my plant from this very UN-scientific description, or
provide me with some characteristic which I could check that would
definitely prove or disprove its identity, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks-

-Jonathan Mitchell