Re: Nepenthes spathulata ID

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 22:06:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 09 Jul 99 01:06 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes spathulata ID

Dear Johnathan,

> (..this plant might really be) N. spathulata, which I recieved
> in the same shipment.
>
> The plant is about 8" across with 2"-3" pitchers; large enough to make
> some observations possible, but not so mature as to be stable enough in
> its characterisitcs to make a definite ID based on appearance alone.
> Regardless, I will list some of these characteristics and maybe someone
> more experienced than I can help me ID it:
>
> - the plant is smooth and relatively hairless, except along the leaf
> edges and the pitcher itself, which are both VERY faintly pubescent.
> - the spur branches (usually into three points).
> - the peristome is simple on the inner margin- not toothed.

   While I haven't grown _N.spathulata, I beleive the peristome
is indeed toothed. Can you check the images on Johannes Maribini's and
Maleysiana Tropical's web-sites? The only plant I have grown (out of
several dozen) which I might confuse with the plants shown on these
papes is _N.hirsuta_, but even that is a stretch as the peristome is
very different.

> - the peristome is relatively wide and flared, and has distinct
> ridges; it is a solid, very dark red color on mature pitchers.
> - the wings are heavily fringed; the cilia are very numerous and long.
> - the lid has a weak crest- more of an indentation really.
> - the pitcher body is tubby and green with tiny red spots creating a
> blushing effect near the neck and lid; older pitchers darken to an
> almost chocolatey red.
> - the stem is round in cross section, and quite thick.
> - there are faint red or pink splotches on the pitcher interior,
> which is extremely waxy.

   Can you include what the leaf looks like? Important features
are: Does it have a petiole, how is the leaf attached to the
stem, is it just attached by a petiole or does the lamina also
reach the stem? In the case of N.spath., it appears the lamina
just reaches the stem or falls short just of the stem. However,
by looking at the name of this one, I would hope the name refers
to the shape of the leave--you should have spoon shaped leaves.
Do you?

   How does it look campared to the plant labelled N.spathulata?

Dave Evans