Re: P.villosa - difficult!

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 15:36:20 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: P.villosa - difficult!

Hi all,

        I complete agree with Loyd's comments. Since P.villosa generally
grows so far north (however, their supposedly is a population on Vancouver
Island), they experience extremely long daylengths during the growing
season, and almost complete darkness during the winter. Summer in the
regions where it grows is generally about 2 weeks in length, maximum. The
rest of the frost-free period feels like the spring or fall in southern
counterparts. However, due to the daylight hours, the summer period can
reach maximum temps of +30C and higher.

        I think this species would need both wide ranges in light and in
temperature to grow successfully. It just may be one of those plants best
enjoyed in nature, as you may grow old with frustration trying to
cultivate it :)!

Happy growing,

Chris

 On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 loyd.wix@talk21.com wrote:

> Dear Filippo,
>
> I once managed to grow one plant from seed from the UKCPS - the seed was donated by a Norwegian member of the society. The plant grew well during the summer but died in the autumn without forming a hibernacula.
>
> It is perhaps worth considering that day length may also be an important factor. The plant will have a short growing season and very long day length during mid summer. However I may have failed with this plant as rapidly shortening day lengths in late summer/early autumn may be necessary to induce hibernacula formation. Thus in order to succesfully grow this species you may need to artificially control the day length as well as temperature.
>
> Cheers
>
> Loyd
>
> PS - a belated thanks for the seed and I hope the P.vallisneriifolia are still growing well for you.

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C.