Rabbit eating Byblis, was Re: Bird eating Sundew,seriously!

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 15:42:29 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:42:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Rabbit eating Byblis, was Re: Bird eating Sundew,seriously!

Hi everyone,

        I agree with Mike. There's a few larger pests I wouldn't mind
seeing eaten by my plants. Of course, the neighbours and faint of heart
guests might not appreciate seeing decomposing animals amongst my plant
(it even sounds a little gross to me!)

        On another similar note. I was once told by a grower in Australia
that Byblis have occasionally captured prey as large as rabbits. He said
that this occured where the Byblis (presumably gigantea) grew in large,
dense thick colonies, and suggested the rabbit may have already been dying
from disease. I'm curious if anyone can actually confirm this, or was
that Aussie just pokin' fun at this here Canadian yokel ;)?

Chris

 On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Michael Hunt
wrote:

> I wish this would happen to the darn Blue Jays here. I wouldn't unglue them
> that is certain. They pick plants and live moss out of pots and bog
> plantings and carry them off. I'm always at war with these birds. They cause
> destruction to other plant collections I have as well. Recent total loss of
> plants, young S. alabamensis, P. planiflora (a favorite of the blue's). I
> believe they maybe lining their nest with the wet moss and plants.
> ~Mike

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences
Simon Fraser University