ObNewZealand Correction

From: Jack Elder (Jack.Elder@gtl.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 05:56:14 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:56:14 +0100
From: "Jack Elder" <Jack.Elder@gtl.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ObNewZealand Correction

> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:19:46 EDT
> From: Davidogray@aol.com
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Nepenthes in Santa Monica?
[snip really excellent post about growing neps outside in California]

> The red-flowered Metrosideros sp. you see is indeed a close
> relative of the
> Hawai'ian Ohi'a Lehua tree, but is probably one of the New
> Zealand sp. called
> Rata or Pohutukawa there ( or Ironwood for the rest of us ). The

You're probably thinking of Pohutakawa rather than Rata - the two trees are
quite different, as far as I can recall. Pohutakawa are lovely trees,
though.

In order to make this relevant to CPs: the Maori for sundew is 'Wahu'
(wah-hoo). AFAIK Maori doesn't make any particular distinction between the
various species of Drosera present in New Zealand.

And in order to make it even more relevant to CPs, does anyone have any good
growing tips for D. arcturi? I've seen it in the wild, and as far as I can
tell the best way to get it to grow would be to keep it in a well-lit
freezer for 6 months of the year, and then turn the lights off for the other
six. Any tips on mimicking freezing, snowy alpine conditions in a temperate
climate at ground level? ;)

Jack