Re: Thrips and chemical controls

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 09:59:06 PDT

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Thrips and chemical controls

Hi everyone,

        To throw in my two cents on the following.

> As to biological controls, I'm not familiar with a wasp that attacks
> thrips (although wasps DO come in very small sizes, Tom, and there
> might be one small enough to parasitize thrips.) I AM

        There are photos in the biology department here from the pest
management program of a wasp 'parastizing' an aphid. I don't like to use
the word parasitized with the wasp, because it's not the adult that's the
parasite, instead it lays it's eggs inside the aphid and then the larvae
eats its way out (nobody said the insect world was nice!).

        As Susan pointed out, there are several parasitic species which
are being used for biological control. Out here, a lot of research is
being dedicated to biological eradication of forest pest species.

        As I said, my two cents :)!

Kind regards,

Chris

Chris Teichreb