re: D.falconeri germination

From: Sundew Sundew (sundew@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 09:28:19 PDT

Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 09:28:19 PDT
From: "Sundew Sundew" <sundew@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: D.falconeri germination

>Hi Matt,
>
>Thanks for your reply. Do you remember how long it took for them to
>germinate.

Maybe a month? Dont remember exactly but I know it took longer than any of
the other seed I planted at the time.

I planted my falconeri seed in the end of april, and there's
>no sign of any growth yet.

how many seed did you get? I think some of this seed waits until conditions
are right until it will sprout. as long as they havent been overgrown by
algae or moss, you might as well move the pots to warmer conditions and hang
on to them. i think good light might also be inportant for these.

>I planted two of its relatives around the same time (D. ordensis
>"Kununurra" and D. lanata "Type form") and have had more success with
>them. I got high and fast germination of the D. ordensis (must have
>received really fresh seed), but the D. lanata was both slower in
>germination and growth.

I planted lanata type, dilatato petiolaris, falconeri and petiolaris all at
the same time. DP came up first, then lanata, then falconeri and petiolaris
took the longest. just checked the other day and finally noticed some. i
was ready to toss the pot! good thing i didnt.

>Anyway, I'll move the falconeri pot to a sunny windowsill, to see what
>will happen. One final question; Did you keep the pot in full sun, or
>did you shade it in any way?

its in a sealed terrarium on an east facing windowsill where it gets a
little direct sun in the morning and then flourescent lights for the rest of
the day.

good luck!
matt