Re: Leaf cuttings didn't work!

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 07:15:26 PDT

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:15:26 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Leaf cuttings didn't work!

>>I cut some leaves off of a bunch of different sundews: D.
>>capensis, D. adelae, D. slackii, D. aliciae, and D. intermedia.
>>I had read a book that showed in pictures how to cut and
>>plant them, and then it said in a few weeks little baby plants
>>should be growing from them. I laid them top-down on some
>>peat moss, kept the humidity hight, and here it is, at least a
>>month later, and nothing has happened.

Just my two cents, but maybe the reason they didn't work is because you
put them "top down." I've always placed leaf cuttings "face up," or
with the back side of the leaf touching the soil, and the tentacles
facing up. Make sure the leaf makes some good contact with the soil
undneath, keep it humid, and bright but not sunny. I've only tried leaf
cuttings with capensis, spatulata, and anglica, but it's worked every
time. I've even had new plants sprout on capensis leaves while they're
still on the plant!

Good luck,
John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah