Leaf cuttings didn't work!

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 09:54:12 PDT

Date: 11 Aug 1999 17:54:12 +0100
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Leaf cuttings didn't work!

Hi Amy,

Did your leaf cuttings become dry and shrivelled? If so, they
didn't get enough water. The underneath of leaf blades should be in
good contact throughout with moist compost, and if you leave the
stalk on (I do, but I have seen advice to the contrary) that too
should be in good contact with the compost. With some leaves, the
tentacles tend to curl round and lift the leaf from the compost - if
this happens you need to pin or weight the leaf down.

I've never tried floating leaves on water but I have laid them on a
raft of live sphagnum on water - this is the basis of my D
schizandra production line.

Best of luck with your next batch of cuttings, NigelH