Re:flowering Drosera intermedia

From: Jaap Noordeloos (Jaap@cable.A2000.nl)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 13:39:51 PDT

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:39:51 +0200
From: Jaap Noordeloos <Jaap@cable.A2000.nl>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:flowering Drosera intermedia

> Today I noticed my D. intermedia has sent up a flower stalk. It came up
> amazingly fast - I didn't even notice it until today, and it is like
> three inches tall! There aren't any flowers yet, but I see buds on it
> about to open. I have a few questions...
> first of all, is this the time for a D. intermedia to be flowering? I
> always thought sundews flowered in the spring.
> And another thing - I really want my sundew to produce seeds, but sundew
> flowers are so small that I can't pollinate them myself. One it flowers,
> should I sit the plant outside for a while and hope that bees or
> something pollinate it (I don't think bees can get into my greenhouse)?
>
> Amy
> http://www.homestead.com/flytraps

Hi Amy and others,

Drosera intermedia flowers normally between June and August. Some of my plants will even flower in May if the
winter was soft.
The best way to get seeds of Drosera intermedia is to do nothing. Several Drosera species are self-polinating so we
don't have to do it for them to set seed and so is D. intermedia.

So long,

Wouter Noordeloos