Should I let Heliamphora flower?

From: Howie Shen (epoxy2600@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 14:45:07 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Howie Shen <epoxy2600@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Should I let Heliamphora flower?

Hi all,

I've been growing a small H.heterodoxa x minor that I got as a rhizome
division with 2 pitchers back in January. Since then, it has been very
happy and has developed 4 more pitchers, with the most recent couple
looking very mature with well-developed spoons, beautiful color, and
nice venations. However, the largest of the pitchers is still only
about 4inches tall, so I think the plant still has a way to go before
it is mature overall.

I was very surprised, then, to see that it is now sending up a flower
stalk! While I am thrilled at having my Heliamphora blossom after
growing it for less than a year, I am also concerned about the
potential drain that flowering would have on the plant. After all, I'd
much rather the plant focus on growing stronger and larger pitchers
rather than spend energy on flower production right now...and then stop
growing for a while.

Any thoughts or advice as to what I should do? Do you think that
letting this small plant flower will retard its growth for the next few
months? I'd hate to cut the flower if in reality I could have enjoyed
it without worrying about the plant slowing down!

-Howie