Re: dormancy questions

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 13:48:55 PDT

Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:48:55 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: dormancy questions

> Since I'm new to the CP world, this winter will be the first time I'll
> experience dormancy with my plants. I've got 5 different Sarracenia, D.
> rotundifolia, and VFT's that will be going dormant. I've noticed that
> they have stopped growing. Any advice on how to go about keeping them
> alive through winter? My thoughts were to clip the leaves off of them,
> wrap the bulbs, rhizomes, or whatever in damp long fibered sphagnum,
> then sealing them in plastic bags and storing them in the refrigerator.

Hi Will,
A lot depends on where you live. Here in Durham, NC, daily temps are still
in the 80s and sometimes 90s (~30C). It is also dry season here although the
remnants of Hurricane Daniel are just now bringing us some rain. Some
pitcher plants go into semi-dormancy during the driest part of the summer
only to revive again in autumn's cooler temperatures. S. leucophylla, for
example, is known for putting out fall pitchers that are more robust than
the ones it grows in the spring. Summer dormancy may be what your plants are
doing. Tell us a little more about where you live and people will be better
able to advise you on dormancy for your plants.

HTH,