dormancy questions

From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu (hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 13:12:26 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:12:26 -0800 (PST)
From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: dormancy questions

Hello,

A few questions about dormancy (being the seasonally topic
these days, other than puppets, of course :-)):

I live in San Francisco. I'll be putting all my Sarracenias
outside in a couple weeks. But as some of you probably know,
it can rain pretty heavily in the winter here. I'm thinking
of putting my plants under some kind of shelter so they
stay relatively dry during dormancy; that's probably necessary,
right?

(On a related topic, the S. alata and S. minor I currently have
indoors are still cranking out new pitchers merrily. Kind of
a shame to have to drive them into dormancy, but I guess it's
necessary...)

I have a few sundews that I don't have so much information on
from my books. I'm told the D. x California sunset (a filiformis
hybrid, I believe), which is getting brown, should go in the
refrigerator (thanks Barry!) I also have a D. ridiformis and
a D. breviflora. Both have flower stalks and buds, but the
flowers haven't opened (at least I haven't spotted them opened).
Both live outside, well-drained sandy mix, with daily misting.
The ridiformis is looking green and healthy, but the breviflora
rosette is looking kind of ragged. Any suggestions will be
appreciated. Thanks!

Bill