RE: dormancy questions

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 04:58:14 PST

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:58:14 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: dormancy questions

> Are you sure they died?

I'm sure the leaves died <gr>. I often wondered whether or not D.
capillaris comes back from roots and now that you mention D. brevifolia
falls into that same wondering. I know that plants do come back in the
brevifolia pots, supposed from seed dropped. The plants appear
seedling-size so I assume they are coming from seed rather than from roots.
I hope to get out with the camera and take a picture of a D. capillaris
population on one of the outdoor bogs and then compare the plants' location
next spring when they come back.

>Collect the seed though,

always

>it is not an easy plant to keep for several years. How true. I have
found scattered individuals in my romps around Summerville and at one time I
may have found a nice little population but the little population did not
come back this year. The site is getting pretty overgrown so I'm hoping
they make it.