Bugs in my flytraps!

From: Phillip J. Crane (pcrane@funboy.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 14:55:07 PDT

Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 16:55:07 -0500
From: "Phillip J. Crane" <pcrane@funboy.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bugs in my flytraps!

Hello:

I'm new to this group...and thought it may be the best resource for
finding out some info on venus fly traps.

I'm a new grower of the plant and I've had great success so far. I do,
however, have one major problem:

I first noticed little black hopping bugs that almost look like fleas
about 6 weeks ago. Since I first noticed them, they've multiplied
rapidly. I"m not sure if I should be concerned or not. They don't seem
to be harming the plants... yet.

Does anyone know what these may be... and if they are specific to either
the flytrap or to peat moss.... (I've yet to see them in other moss)

and *IF* anyone has a clue.... should I bother getting rid of them...
and if so, HOW do I get rid of the bug without harming the plants?

Thanks in advance,

Phillip Crane