Re: Bugs in my flytraps!

From: Marcus Rossberg (Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 13:27:29 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:27:29 +0200
From: "Marcus Rossberg" <Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bugs in my flytraps!

> I first noticed little black hopping bugs that almost look like fleas
> about 6 weeks ago. Since I first noticed them, they've multiplied
> rapidly. I"m not sure if I should be concerned or not. They don't seem
> to be harming the plants... yet.

Phillip,

I don't know what size the fleas are where you live, but if the bugs are a
little larger than a pinhead, look a little like fruit-flies, but run
around hectically rather than fly, then it's most probably fungus gnats.
They are almost always around where you grow cp. Don't worry, they're
harmless and of no problem. (There are pictures of some pest incl. fungus
gnads on The Carnivorous Plant FAQ:
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq364.html )
I read several times that when in great population their larves (which live
in the ground) can damage the roots of your plant, but I never saw any harm
myself. The bugs usually escape from the traps of a VFT (if they activate
them at all) but sundews and butterworts downright feast on them. Place one
of those near your VFTs, and it will take care of them for you - and so the
fungus gnads are even good for something: food for your cp! ;o)

Greetings, Marcus