Re Sarracenia Pollination

From: Peter Quinnear (Peter_Quinnear@rnli.org.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 03:26:32 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:26:32 +0100
From: "Peter Quinnear" <Peter_Quinnear@rnli.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re Sarracenia Pollination

>>I'm curious if Sarracenia that are growing outside the US and
Canada are >>pollinated by your country's native insects. In the
US, the pollinator is >>probably bees. Is that the same for you?

I have witnessed bees entering sarracenia flowers in my UK garden,
presumably to pollinate. I remember someone once asking (it might
not have been on this list) if bees had to learn how to pollinate
flowers like sarracenias. I don't know the answer but bees I have
seen seemed to know what they were about. It was straight in...no
messing

Pete