Reddinsh Aldrovanda

From: YOSHIYUKI SODEKA (d10940@esq.dentsu.co.jp)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 00:51:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:51:18 +0900 (JST)
From: "YOSHIYUKI SODEKA" <d10940@esq.dentsu.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Reddinsh Aldrovanda

Dear all:
     We, IPS in Japan, had a regular meting in October 3rd. We had a lecture on how to take botanical photos in the fields by using real equipments. The lecturer was Mr. Watanabe, who is a professional botanical photographer and one of the board members of IPS. We are aiming at accumulating as many excellent photos as possible among our members as an asset of our society.
     Another topic. Ms. Chiaki Shibata, also a board member, recently came back from Australia. She said she traveled from Darwin to the Western Australia along the coastal areas. She discovered many D. petiolaris complex plants, however the whole plants were completely dry and black on the ground part, and surviving only under the ground as a ball of root. She said she should go there again in the rainy season.
    One thing that interested me most was the reddish aldrovanda vesiculosa in Darwin area. Looking at the video she took, there were red ones among green ones at the same location even in 1x1m square. I wonder what factors decide the color of the plants. And what is mysterious was that a new side bud emerging from a red plant is completely green! Ms. Shibata is also wondering why. I hope someone has an answer to this.

Sincerely,

Yoshiyuki Sodekawa