Re: U.longifolia and other Utrics

From: Elliot Smith (e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 03:20:07 PST

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:20:07 +0000
From: Elliot Smith <e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U.longifolia and other Utrics

Dear John (and others),

I've found U.longifolia quite easy to grow, and even to rescue from near
death caused by transport shock. The soil mix I use is very open: peat,
silica sand, perlite (1:2:3), pretty much the same mix I use for other
epiphytics (e.g. bromeliads). I don't leave the pot standing in water,
but water thoroughly when it starts to dry out, until the water runs out
of the bottom of the pot. It seems to appreciate the extra humidity
provided by a plastic dome, and likes to be fairly warm; part shade
doesn't seem to be a problem.

I find it almost impossible to stop Utrics flowering! As long as the
soil is wet with occasional floodings (for the terrestrial species, I
use undrained containers), they're not too cold, and they get some
sunlight, they bloom year round on my windowsills. Soil mix: peat:silica
sand:perlite (2:1:1).

Hope this helps,
Elliot

--
Elliot Smith
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham