Re: orthene and N. gracilis scale

From: hermann@wistuba.com
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 00:09:53 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:09:53 +0100
From: hermann@wistuba.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: orthene and N. gracilis scale

Date sent: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:29:10 -0800
Send reply to: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>

Hello all scale-enemies,

in Germany I use against scales on Ferns and Adeniums, which
are the first joice plants for any sort of scales, CONFIDOR with
very good results without any harm to the delicate Ferns and
without leef-loss at the Adeniums. I also spay from time to time all
nepenthes in the greenhouse with this medium. As far as I know
from an other mailing list in USA there is MARATHON, with the
same potent substance ( Imadacloprid ). The effectiveness lasts
over halfe a year so you only have to spray two times a year.
Perhaps in UK you should look after an insecticide with
Imadacloprid as active substance. Perhaps ask a cactus friend,
they know this chemical against Mealybugs and it is very effective
against this pest too.

Greetings from Germany

Hermann Wistuba

> Hi Steve,
> Often it is not the scale that is the problem, but the frquecy, or lack
> of proper frequency that determines whther or not an infestation can be
> erradicated. Here is a good protocal that works. Yes, using orthene and
> cygone as well (cygone is dimethoate). Both I have used repeatedly on most
> of my Nepenthes with no ill effects.
> Using the right proportions (read lable0 mix the orthene in with the
> oil/soap and spray heavily. Take a cotten swab and remove all insects, then
> spray again. Let the plant dry.
> In 7 days, check again and repeat proceedure, but instead of using the
> orthene, use dimethoate as a root drench, apply the sopa as before and swab
> the plant well.
> In 7 days repeat with the orthene/soap.
> In 7 days, examine the plant. Is there ANY bugs on it? If so, repeat
> with the cygone, if not repeat with the soap only.
> In 7 days examine the plant again. Is it still clean? If so, leave it
> be. If not repeat with cygone and soap.
> Use a hand lens for examination and stick to the 7 day schedule. You
> must get the newly hatched buggers before they lay eggs again. Since most
> of these sprays do nothing for eggs, you must follow the hatch schedule.
> 7-10 days is it, so be prompt and use the 7 day schedule. Timing is
> everything, rotation of chemicals is also important so as not to build up a
> resistant strain.
> Hope this works for you.
> Best wishes
> Andrew