Ed's Pinguicula

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 15:05:56 PST

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:05:56 GMT
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ed's Pinguicula

Dear Ed

>I have a P. moranensis "G" that keeps blooming. However the bad
part is that >the leaves keep covering the blossom before it
finishes opening. It has done >this with three blossoms so far.
Does anyone have any pointers as to the >cause (and the cure)? The
plant seems to be otherwise doing well and is >trapping a large
number of fungus gnats (as well as rapidly getting larger). >Thanks
a head of time, >Ed Kowalski

First of all I am not familiar with P.moranensis \221G', I guess
this is an American clone not in circulation in Europe. The
behaviour you describe is similar to situations where normally
winter flowering Pings have flowered for me out of season. As such
plants usually flower from the winter rosette, the flowers can form
with out risk of the relatively small winter succulent leaves
covering them. Thus I wonder if your P.moranensis \221G' is a
winter flowering plant that for some reason is not forming a winter
rosette and as a result the larger summer foliage is overwhelming
the flowers. Just a thought.

Cheers

Loyd

-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address