Re: Infestation problems!

From: hermann@wistuba.com
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 14:39:42 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:39:42 +0100
From: hermann@wistuba.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Infestation problems!

Hello scale-enemies,
I received in another mailing list some days ago a very interesting
message obout an insecticiede which I tried against scales and
mealy bugs. I also use this insecticide ( CONFIDOR in Germany )
on cps without harme to the plants and with very good success
against scales. The active substance is written in the following
writing.

Hi Hermann and other mealy-bug-enemies! Since toxocology was
part of my
previous life, I did a short search on Imidacloprid (variously spelled
Imadacloprid or Imadocloprid, I'm not sure which is official). There
is a
lot of additional information at:

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-
methylparathion/imid
acloprid-ext.html

Imidacloprid is found in a variety of commercial insecticides. The
products
Admire, Condifor, Gaucho, Premier, Premise, Provado, and
Marathon all
contain imidacloprid as the active ingredient. It is a cholinesterase
inhibitor working preferentially on nicotinic receptors that are the
most
common in insect nervous systems. Muscarinic receptors are the
most common
in mammals and so it has a much lesser effect on us. It is about
one tenth
as toxic to humans as Cygon.

It is a systematic insecticide and so is very effective for sucking
insects
like scale, mealies, white fly or spider mites. When it is sprayed in
commercial greenhouses, the recommended time before re-entry
by workers is
only 12 hours. It binds to organic materials in the soil and half of its
activity is still present after 48-190 days. It migrates more quickly
out of
gravelly or sandy soil. It sounds to me like a reasonable systemic
to try
for a nasty infestation of mealies, particularly if you can apply it in a
greenhouse or non-domestic enclosure. "Premise" or "Marathon
1G" seem to be
the products commonly used in greenhouse and vegetable growing.

Happy spraying - John

Hermann Wistuba
Mudauer Ring 227
68259 Mannheim