PNW growing outdoors

From: teachout@oz.net
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 23:10:03 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:10:03 -0800
From: teachout@oz.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: PNW growing outdoors

Jeff, I grow Sarracenias outdoors as well as the littler guys that
overwinter in the greenhouse. Mine were in a whiskey barrel liner sunk in
the ground and now are in a whiskey barrel that is partially sunk in the
ground (old barrel falling apart now planted). They have done remarkbly
well in that container. I planted some Venus flytraps and sundews in with
them but took the traps out for winter and they are in a cool greenhouse.

I accidently ended up with a ground cover of Azolla in the barrel (brought
in from the pond) that has taken over but the Sarracenia don't seem to mind
and it looks nice so it stays and nicely covers the rim of the liner.

BTW this is my first posting here so I should introduce myself as a native
PNWer an avid gardener for most of my adult life, and the last few years
started growing cps and more recently ponding - loving every minute of this
new frontier for me. I enjoy the list and hope to contribute or ask
questions where and when needed. Should have been on this list before as I
tried unsuccessfully to start Darlingtonia's from seed and last year
finally had germination. They are still tiny and these babies are in the
greenhouse where I am hoping this year they start to grow up.
Deb TT
Washington state USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 5
http://www.rainyside.com/