Two headed flytrap

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 08:19:06 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:19:06 -0500
From: Steven Stewart <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Two headed flytrap

To Nathan on leaf propagation of VFTs. I have several plants I
propagated from a plant with two, two headed leaves and one three headed
leaf, this last summer. I simply uprooted the plant, carefully removing
all potting material. I then pealed the deformed (or possibly
futuristic) leaves, with white basal material attached from the rhizome,
and placed them in live Sphagnum. In a couple of months numerous small
traps began to emerge. It is important to keep the Sphagnum from
over-growing the small plants. I'm certain there are people doing tissue
culture that may have a more scientific, sterile technique than mine,
and I am not sure the abnormality will come out with my method (the
small plants look normal).
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl USA