Heliamphora sp.?

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 09:13:21 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:13:21 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Heliamphora sp.?

Hi Cpers,

     Last year I aquired about 100 wild collected seed of Heliamphora
which was collected by a group of CP nuts who climbed Mount Neblina. The
seed was a mix of both H. neblina and tatei. I sowed these all together
on live Sphagnum and refrigerated them for one month. I then took them
out of the frige and put them under my light system and germination began
after another few weeks. I had many sprout but most of these either died
and got moldy or got moldy and died. Four seedlings continued to grow.

One of the four had distinctly larger seed leaves to begin with and grew
much better, the rest barely grew at all. I kept the best one for myself
and gave the other three genetic liabilities to other growers. Now,
almost one year later, my one plant has pitchers one inch tall. I had
grown Heliamphorae from seed before and am sure that this one plant grew
far better than any others. This plant is also very red.

I was told that H. minor has much red coloration, but the seed was not
taken from that species. To account for my seedling's superior growth and
deeper color I have an idea that possibly it is a natural hybrid.
Botanist Phil Sheridan has reported that natural Sarracenia hybrids have
more anthocyanin red. Perhaps hybrid vigor gives the plant better growth?
Maybe in another year when I see the mature pitcher shape I will be able
to positively identify the plant.

It will be years before the plant is large enough to propagate, so please
don't ask. My friend Ed Read wants to start it invetro in that far
future.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California